The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 10 07:33:34 PDT 2017

On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 11:40:12 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>   1) Is there some perspective on D getting a defined ABI that
> works with all major D compilers?
>   2) What would the D community recommend on how to deal with
> the ABI issues currently? A Linux distribution is a bunch of
> tightly integrated software, and changing one piece in an
> incompatible way (e.g. by building it with LDC instead of DMD)
> will have consequences.
>   3) Will DMD support more architectures in the near future?
> How should the architecture issue be handled?

My prediction for Walters reply:

1) No. Not worth it, because templates, ctfe, etc.
3) No. Not worth it, because D frontend stuff is more important.

> Also: If you want to help out Debian's D team, feel free to
> ping me or any other D team member (we are very short handed
> and are only two active people right now). See
> https://wiki.debian.org/D (caution, wiki page is very outdated,
> last touched in 2012)

Tentative ping, but that Wiki page is not helpful. The linked svn
repo is empty. Where and how do you work?

I guess the issue are still the same as you wrote here (except 1.
is solved):
https://gist.github.com/ximion/fe6264481319dd94c8308b1ea4e8207a

So, mostly dub needs work, I guess.