The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 10 16:39:50 PDT 2017

On 11 April 2017 at 01:27, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> The next problem is that dmd occasionally changes the interface to the D
> runtime. Or more accurately, with about every release. This has not been an
> issue historically for us, as the two have always been a matched set. I'm a
> lot less sure how to deal with this. I also do not know how the gdc/lds
> druntime interfaces differ.

If you are referring to things such as _d_throw, _d_throwc,
_d_throwdwarf, others... In most cases, GDC has always done things in
the way that works for it, and as a result has almost never changed
ABI of library functions that it is tied to.  So we just have the one
_d_throw function for throwing dwarf EH, while DMD has gone through
several iterations over the years before finding themselves doing
things the same way as GDC - by which point you've given the function
a different name.  ;-)