The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 04:55:59 PDT 2017

I apologize in advance for the large amount of mail that will
likely follow, but I want to address all comments.

On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 18:46:31 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> [...]
> One issue, though: if we standardize on compiling Debian
> packages with ldc, then what do we do with libraries that are
> not ABI-compatible with dmd?  Since users would expect that if
> they need libfoo, they'd just `apt-get install libfoo-dev` and
> then they should be able to just run` dmd -L-lfoo` and it
> should all magically "just work".

That's the problem I would like to see addressed (but given
Walter's comment, it won't be feasible to resolve it in the near
future).
We could simply do away with "don't use distro packages for your
D programming", at least that's what Go recommends.