The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 05:06:21 PDT 2017

On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 22:26:46 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
wrote:
> On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 13:20:00 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> This has worked nicely for every language. If you don't have
>> templates in your API or don't change the templates between
>> releases, you can survive with one library for a long time.
>
> But the vast majority of D libraries _do_ have templates
> (starting with Phobos).  How should this situation be dealt
> with?
>
> How does Debian deal with, e.g., fixes to the templated code in
> Boost, which impact on other packages built using those
> header-only libraries?

Boost's soversion is changed on every release, and the version is
included in it's -dev package as well. That's why we have
libboost1.62-dev:
https://packages.debian.org/de/sid/libboost1.62-dev (and possibly
more).
There is also a boost-defaults package setting the current
default Boos version for packages to depend on.
If a new Boost comes out, it's soversion and -dev package name
changes, triggering a package transition and subsequently a full
rebuild of all stuff depending on Boost.

Doing something like this with D libraries would obviously be
possible as well.