[OT] Re: The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 05:48:43 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 12:42:13 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 12:03 +0000, Matthias Klumpp via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
> […]
>> Nah, there are several options here, one would simply be to
>> tell
>> people not to use the distro packages with anything but the
>> default D compiler used in the respective Debian release.
>> Go apparently tells people not to use Debian-shipped go code in
>> their own projects at all.
>
> The vendoring systems that Go folk have invented are
> effectively mandatory for projects that want reproducible
> builds, and using platform specific code is not feasible. It
> suprises me that Debian and Fedora are going flat out trying to
> package Go stuff.

That's false. Debian is leading the effort on reproducible builds
that many other projects (including Fedora) have joined, and a
large chunk of packages is already reproducible[1].
It's actually quite the opposite: Build systems downloading
random stuff from the internet make the system more likely to
produce different build results.

But in any case, the primary use for Debian packages is to be
used by the distribution.

[1]:
https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/reproducible.html