Walter and Andrei and community relationship management

HaraldZealot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 06:20:58 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 6 April 2017 at 17:56:03 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 April 2017 at 13:55:43 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
>
>> I don't want to make any assumptions, and I do respect Walter
>> for consistently taking on a role that means that people keep
>> criticizing his choices whatever he does, but his approach to
>> dealing with the community is undeniably flawed, and seems to
>> be breeding a lot of frustration and resentment.
>
> IMO the source of the problem is that Walter and Andrei have
> freedom to make any language changes they want, without even
> consulting the community, while everyone else has to put a lot
> of time into a formal proposal with nearly a 100% chance that
> it will be denied because of [insert your favorite reason]. The
> design of the language is done in something of a corporate
> fashion, and that leads to frustrated posts.*

I agree.

I was never personally affected by this (because I haven't
contributed to the language or library), but I have heard enough
rumours and read enough posts, that see this as problematic (and
even frustrated although me not personally touched).

The problem exists probably because D community some years ago
reached the scale when only interpersonal non-formal
communication doesn't work for managing the development process.
I know that Walter is oppose  to any code of conduct, but it is
really time for this. The formalization of processes gives
transparency and objectivity, very high needed values especially
for volunteer community. A depersonification could also go by
hand (but not necessary, having a written rule where e.g. Walter
personally designated to specific role and exceptions, better
that not have rule at all).

The DIP process is very good step in this way, but much more
required. E.g. I have heard so much about miserable commit
messages of one of pillar developers, that it would be funny if
it wouldn't be so sad.

I hope that D community find its good way to interoperate and
hence survive.

Alaksiej Stankievič