The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 07:40:12 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 14:21:57 Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> This will *not* solve the issues with Phobos breakage though, as
> Phobos is a shared library.

It could always just be distributed as a static library. There arguably
isn't much point in distributing it as a shared library anyway -
particularly when it's not ABI compatible across versions. I actively avoid
having phobos as a shared library on my systems, because it just causes
versioning problems when programs are built against it. All of those
problems go away with a static library. And so much of Phobos is templated
anyway that there isn't even much to share.

- Jonathan M Davis