The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 07:44:45 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 14:33:01 Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 14:26:37 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> > [...]
> > The problem with /usr/include/d is that is where .di files
> > would be located not .d. This would also match up with the
> > c/c++ usage of it.
>
> When I asked about this a while back, I was told to just install
> the sources into the include D as "almost nobody uses .di files
> except for proprietary libraries" (and do those even exist?).
> But in any case, any path would be fine with me as long as people
> can settle on using it - `/usr/share/d` would be available ^^

Putting .di files in the include directory makes sense when compared to C++,
but it's definitely true that they're used quite rarely. They gain you very
little and cost you a lot (e.g. no CTFE). But unless someone were looking to
put both .di and .d files for the same module on the same system, it
wouldn't really be an issue to put them both in the include directory. I
would expect open source librares to use .di files very rarely though.

- Jonathan M Davis