The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 08:31:46 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 12:38:01 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> If you could change the SOVERSION with every one of these
> changes, or simply just tie it to the respective Phobos
> release, distributions would automatically do the right thing
> and compile all D code using Phobos against the new version.

As you mention, this is already done in LDC; not just the Debian
packages, but also upstream. The soname will always be
`libphobos2-ldc.so.74` or what have you.

(Thinking about it, it should probably include the patch version
as well, although we haven't had a situation so far where we
would have wanted to release multiple LDC versions for
ABI-incompatible patch releases.)

  — David