The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 10:39:41 PDT 2017

On 11 April 2017 at 14:11, Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 22:36:39 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> On 10 April 2017 at 23:52, David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> … and some weird Frankensteinian mix of several frontend versions, I take
>>> it, maybe enough to build Phobos, but not necessarily compatible for user
>>> code? Or did you port all the changes since 2.068.2 back to C++?
>>>
>>>  — David
>>

>> All the regression fixes and none of the bugs!
>>
>> The current situation is that it should be link-compatible with current
>> upstream/stable.  Enough so that when someone has the time to test, it
>> should just be a case switching the sources and building the D version.
>

> First of all, thank you for your tremendous work on GDC! Fellow developers
> and me were also pretty stunned by you maintaining a quite large amount of
> different GDC versions in parallel without a huge team - that's some
> impressive work!

It was worse when we were using `#if D_GCC_VER == 33' macros to
support all versions in the same branch. ;-)

Having a really good CI helps too for when the periodic merges are done.

> What is the thing that's blocking GDCs GCC inclusion? Just manpower? Also,
> you were talking about "bugs" on several occasions, what's the thing with
> that? Is it GCC or general Phobos bugs? It would probably be awesome to have
> a summary blogpost or similar on the state of GDC, that could potentially
> also attract volunteers.
> Anyway, all a bit off-topic :-)

Manpower has got something to do with it when you have two fast ships
sailing and you have one foot in each.

I think I only mentioned bugs once here, and was talking strictly
about the D front-end, which deals with the parsing and semantic
analysis of D sources.  Every release there are listed new features,
regressions fixed, etc.  The regressions fixed have a higher precedent
for me at least.