The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 11:13:41 PDT 2017

On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 22:36:39 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> All the regression fixes and none of the bugs!

That's an interesting approach (spoken with British language
sensibilities).

Is anybody using GDC on a big "modern" D2 codebase
(metaprogramming-heavy, …) right now? From my experience with
Thrift, Weka, and so on, even regression fixes have a habit of
breaking that sort of code in weird and wonderful ways. And
that's not even mentioning other improvements/fixes/additions
people might be relying on.

Right now, the frontend version serves as a convenient aid for
users to navigate those issues (apart, of course, from us trying
to improve things by making semantic analysis more deterministic,
etc). If something works on DMD 2.072.2, then users can also
expect it to work on the corresponding LDC version as well. I'm
not sure you are helping anybody by introducing another set of
weird in-between versions.

  — David