[OT] Re: The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 11:14:40 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 12:03:27 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 22:15:53 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> So do we need to put a reminder about the ABI being unstable
>> into set of every release notes to make sure we won't get
>> angry bug reports once users actually build their own D code
>> against your packages? ;)
>
> Nah, there are several options here, one would simply be to
> tell people not to use the distro packages with anything but
> the default D compiler used in the respective Debian release.

So as long as one sticks to packages in the official apt repos,
all the libraries are guaranteed to be built with the distributed
compiler as well?

When you mentioned that you'd read the release notes regarding
the ABI change, I got the impression that you had to manually
rebuild the world for that to happen – hence my tongue-in-cheek
remark about reminding you to do this in the release notes.

Otherwise, you might get lucky as far as the distributed
applications are concerned (i.e. happen not to hit any ABI
issues), but users might still be hosed when it comes to their
own code.

  — David