GtkD static/shared library linking performance [was: The D ecosystem in Debian with free-as-in-freedom DMD]

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 11:21:33 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 18:13:11 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> I have only the data that compiling and linking a GtkD
> application against a shared library is a lot shorter than
> against a static library.

Sure, but that might be easily fixed, and if you really want to
use shared libraries, you can always make Dub create/use a
library in a local directory (and set the rpath appropriately,
…). I don't quite see how any of this is related to the topic at
hand (distro packaging).

I'd indeed be interested in some data on the linking times,
though. Be sure to test with ld.gold as well, if you are not
using it already.

  — David