Thoughts from newcommer

Piotr Kowalski via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 12:57:19 PDT 2017

Hello D community,

I am language polyglot that lately got interested in D. I love
it, it's very elegant language, so simple and so powerful same
time. I will write some thoughts as outsider.

The reason I am looking at D in 2017 is that D it's almost
nonexistent on popular sites for programmers (reddit/HN etc). The
only discussion I remember about D was that it had two standard
libraries and there were no consensus on which to use and that it
uses GC so it's slow.

In my opinion D can get traction but it needs a lot more
marketing and people need to be more vocal about blog posts
written about D usage. If you don't have account on Reddit or
HackerNews, create one, upvote articles about D, answer questions
about D in comments, promote D (without zealotry).

Two other important things to change people minds about D
performance:

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/

Why D is not there?

https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/previews/round14/#section=data-r14&hw=ph&test=plaintext

This is another very popular benchmark that people discuss and
can attract new people to look at D. vibe.d here is not working,
it would be good to fix that.

What is the plan for D for next 5 years? What about RAII?

Did you consider implementing solutions from which we could get
memory safety without GC in D? Static analysis combined with some
additional annotations/rules (but not intrusive).
For example using some of the solutions from Cyclone[1] or Rust
or proposed solutions for lifetimes in C++[2]

[1]
http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/cyclone/papers/cyclone-safety.pdf

[2]
https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/docs/Lifetimes%20I%20and%20II%20-%20v0.9.1.pdf