Thoughts from newcommer

Piotr Kowalski via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 11 14:48:45 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 21:06:28 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 20:48:13 UTC, Piotr Kowalski wrote:
>> Is it in std already? How do I allocate equivalent of
>> std::vector on heap with RAII in D that will be disposed at
>> the end of the scope automatically?
>
> You're asking about two different things here.
>
> RAII is already in the language. As soon as a struct exits its
> scope, its destructor is called.
>
> Specifically for a vector type with elements allocated on the
> heap that is destroyed on scope exit, I would look at
> https://dlang.org/phobos/std_container_array.html
>
> If you want a more performant version that is integrated with
> std.experimental.allocator, then I would look at
> https://github.com/economicmodeling/containers

Ok, maybe I was too specific, I wanted to ask what is the current
support of RAII in whole std while using @nogc, not in the
language itself.

> I worked on that [0] and decided its not worth it. It is
> literally a "game". You can have > some fun tuning benchmark
> programs. You should not let it influence your decision making.

It's all about perception, if you don't know that something
exists or is capable of doing something then you will never
choose it. Sure it's a benchmarking game, but game people refer
to a lot on reddit or hn. And people still think D is slow so
they don't even consider using it. It's really about marketing.