DIP 1006 - Preliminary Review Round 1

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 12 10:16:33 PDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:25:09AM +0000, Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> DIP 1006 is titled "Providing more selective control over contracts".
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1006.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should occur
> in this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on April 26
> (3:59 AM GMT), or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the DIP
> will be scheduled for another round. Otherwise, it will be queued for
> the formal review and evaluation by the language authors.
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.
>
> Destroy!

Overall, I support the idea of this DIP.

However, as others have mentioned, it needs to make it clear whether/how
`-contracts=assert` here interacts with unittests. According to the
discussion, apparently a different druntime function is used for asserts
in unittests? If so, this needs to be clearly stated in the DIP.

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)