What are we going to do about mobile? [OT]

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 12 12:20:27 PDT 2017

I *strongly* agree with the notion that mobile/ARM/iOS/'droid/etc needs
to be a major part of D's immediate future.

However...

On 04/06/2017 01:24 AM, Joakim wrote:
> I have been saying for some time now that mobile is going to go after
> the desktop next
> (http://forum.dlang.org/thread/rionbqmtrwyenmhmmggx@forum.dlang.org),
> Samsung just announced it, for a flagship device that will ship tens of
> millions:

If you look into the details and current reality of the S8's docked
mode, *at best* it's equivalent to Windows 8.0 and will remain so for at
least a couple years or so: It's connecting a keyboard/mouse/monitor to
a software ecosystem that is still 90% tailored for handheld formfactor.

Ie, at best, it's going to be awhile before it's docked mode is
realistically usable as a Win/Lin/OSX replacement (as opposed to a
mobile projected onto a 20" screen). And by then, they'll be building
hype for Galaxy S10 or so.

Not saying it won't happen at some point in the near-to-mid future, but
time has proven that each of these attempts, individually, only each
have a modest chance of really taking off (and frankly, I've seen other
attempts that did a better job - namely the abandoned one Ubuntu had
been working on, which ran the *actual* Ubuntu desktop when you plugged
in monitor/keyboard/mouse). Even if Samsung does succeed in making the
Galaxy a genuine desktop option, it's definitely not going to happen
within the S8's lifetime. This is just the "early adopter tech-preview"
device.

> D is currently built and optimized for that dying PC platform.

This is just hyperbole. Declining != dying.