Q about Phobos regex's architecture

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 12 22:53:56 PDT 2017

I'll admit this is a bit unorthodox, but...I've been wondering about
something regarding Phobos regex's implementation and internal
architecture: Just how compartmentalized is the parsing of standard PCRE
regex syntax vs actual usage of regexes once parsed?

Or more to the point, (and again, I realize how unorthodox this is),
what would it take to implement an alternate (ie, non-PCRE) syntax for
regexes that still *uses* the rest of the Phobos regex implementation
once the regex string is parsed?

It is currently coupled enough that the only realistic option is to
translate the alternate syntax into standard PCRE regex syntax?

Is there a (perhaps "protected", but maybe even "public" if I'm really
lucky) manual interface to Phobos regex implementation that bypasses the
PCRE parsing?

Any tips/pointers on where to start with this?