Visual Programming: NoFlo and Flow-based Programming

Faux Amis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 14 06:50:17 PDT 2017

On 2017-04-14 10:31, davidvm wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just want to share this thought with you:
>
> I think a great way that could maybe help popularize the use of D, could
> be by developing a Flow-based programming (FBP) implementation for NoFlo
> and Flowhub.
>
> What do you think? Please comment if you think this is a good idea.

I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but I just wanted to mention a
successful(large code/user base) visual programming system for C++,
Blueprints:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/GettingStarted/

It is a scripting layer between hot reloadable C++ classes. It is done
via a horrible macros with all the expected problems: it can't parse
everything, no templates for instance, making it yet another
(sub)language you need to learn.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/UnrealBuildSystem/index.html

But still, I think there is something of value here. Being able to hook
up code and tweak everything visually is great.