Thoughts from newcommer

Jerry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 17 21:30:08 PDT 2017

On Monday, 17 April 2017 at 22:44:52 UTC, Stanislav Blinov wrote:
> On Monday, 17 April 2017 at 21:20:42 UTC, Jerry wrote:
>
>> So what happens when the resource outlives the object's
>> lifetime.
>
> Then RAII rule is violated.
>
>> That's exactly what is happening when you are using the
>> garbage collector.
>
> Correction, that is what *may* happen in some cases when you
> are using GC.

Not may, will definitely happen. Even if the destructor is called
the memory is freed, alas the resource isn't freed and is freed
at a later time when the object is destroyed. And as your above
statement says, this violates the RAII rule.

>> That's exactly the case with the containers in phobos. So
>> calling them RAII container is just incorrect.
>
> I never said they were.

Then why are you arguing for Jack..

> My argument was, from the start, that assessing the *language*
> RAII capability has nothing to do with *library* containers or
> the (lack of) use of @nogc attribute.

I never replied to you, you replied to me an my argument. I never
said RAII capability has anything to do with, go back and read
the comments and user names. You are confusing me for someone
else it seems.