Interpolated strings

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 19 13:12:02 PDT 2017

On 4/19/2017 5:04 AM, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 at 08:42:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 4/15/2017 1:04 PM, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks for doing the work to make a sample implementation, too. I don't know
>> if this will make it into D, but Jonas is a fine example of a champion.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know that it is not immediately off the table
> at least :)

I can't promise anything. But it does need a lot of work. A survey of how it is
done in other languages is helpful to see what they find useful and to see what
has been overlooked. A quick look by me shows a lot of variety.

D's lambda syntax came about after such a survey, and we cherry-picked the best
characteristics of the lot. The result was a nice home run for D.

The n.g. discussion also brought up a couple of existing library solutions.
Those need to be evaluated as well and compared with any language solution.