Interpolated strings

Anonymouse via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 21 06:08:55 PDT 2017

On Friday, 21 April 2017 at 12:45:39 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
> Multiple ways of doing the same thing are not valuable or
> progressive.
>
> Go and Rust are both smashing D in popularity and user share,
> maybe we could learn why that's the case.

Corporate backing and word-of-mouth?

I recall reading a KDE blog article about the problems of
internationalizaton where you have large tables of pattern
strings (think WelcomeMessage[EN]="Welcome $user to $hostname")
where the tokens were very much in different ordering depending
on language, or how some may even be considered implicit and
ommitted outright. (Japanese springs to mind.)

It was way back now so I don't even know where to begin to start
looking, but it highlighted how the ordering did not translate
well into printf patterns. Citation needed but it's a use-case
this would address.