DConf 2017 Berlin - bicycles

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 21 06:37:17 PDT 2017

On 4/20/17 1:29 AM, Adrian Matoga wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 at 20:13:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 4/19/2017 11:22 AM, Adrian Matoga wrote:
>>> I'm arriving at Berlin Ostbahnhof on Wednesday evening and will be
>>> heading to
>>> Britz Hotel, but last year I learnt that the best way to get around
>>> the city is
>>> on a bicycle. Can you recommend a place (preferably near the station)
>>> where I
>>> could rent a not-so-small bike for 4 days for a reasonable price?
>>> Thanks!
>>

>> I personally found that the transit system in Berlin was excellent.
>> You can buy a 3 day pass from the ticket machines, it's under "Tourist
>> Fahrkarte" if I remember correctly.
>
> It is! In many discussions about public transport, Berlin is mentioned
> as an example that should be followed, and I must agree with that after
> a few rides I had.

After the bike tour I had last year, I can 100% agree that having a bike
is a fabulous way to get around the city quickly. You can ride the
subway with your bike (although IIRC, you need to buy a ticket for it),
but the thing that makes Berlin so accessible via bike is that it's
totally flat. Those 10 minute walks become 1 minute rides, and it's a
very bike-friendly city. I mused while riding around that the tour would
be nearly impossible, or at least a huge workout if we did something
like that in Boston :)

That being said, as a non-German speaker, I have no idea where the best
place to rent a bike is. David Eckhardt figured it all out and
negotiated with the bike shop that he found right down the street from
the Ibis. This is after I walked a couple miles to 2 different bike
shops to find out they were all sold out. I know there are places to
rent bikes from an automated machine, then you can return them to one of
those machines, but not sure if there are any in the area Dconf is
happening.

Glad you are coming, Adrian, looking forward to seeing you again!

-Steve