DConf 2017 Berlin - bicycles

Adrian Matoga via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 21 13:16:52 PDT 2017

On Friday, 21 April 2017 at 16:49:36 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 19 April 2017 at 20:22, Adrian Matoga via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> I'm arriving at Berlin Ostbahnhof on Wednesday evening and
>> will be heading
>> to Britz Hotel, but last year I learnt that the best way to
>> get around the
>> city is on a bicycle. Can you recommend a place (preferably
>> near the
>> station) where I could rent a not-so-small bike for 4 days for
>> a reasonable
>> price?
>> Thanks!
>>

> Almost every single bike shop you stumble across in Berlin
> offers rentals, all pretty much at the same price of around 10€
> a day.  If you have a native german to help you, maybe you'll
> even get a swindled deal.
>
> However, the one notable thing that has changed from last year
> is that there's a new competitor in the form of a Lidl bike.
> I've seen literally hundreds of them inside the Berlin S-bahn
> ring, one major advantage of using them is that they don't need
> a dedicated docking station for you to park them in.
>
> I'll just refer to this blog on the more fine grain details.
>
> https://schnaeppchenfuchs.com/news/lidl-bike-berlin
>
> Looks like they even come with a GPS locator, which probably is
> used for DB's smartphone app.
>
> https://www.lidl-bike.de/de/rad-finden

Good idea, I'll try to find one before I look for some
"traditional" rental. I'm only afraid that as a sort of public
bikes they're all in a "normalized" size which probably won't be
safe for me – I sometimes ride nextbike bikes here in Warsaw
(this year they look exactly the same as in Berlin) and they kill
my knees very quickly.

I really wanted to take my own bike but the train operator sucks
– there's only one train in the timetable that allows bicycles
and it's at 6am and costs twice as much as the one in the
afternoon.