DMD VS2017 Support

evilrat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 21 19:39:41 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 02:22:56 UTC, NotSpooky wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 02:13:09 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>
>> There's no issue with compatibility. DMD is perfectly
>> compatible with all recent versions of VS, including 2017. The
>> issue is that 2017 has changed its directory tree and the DMD
>> *installer* can't pick it up automatically. Now that the
>> breakage is known, the next the installer will be updated and
>> the next (hopefully) DMD release will include it.
>
> Oh ok so it works with all of them.
>
> I don't have Windows so I don't know if this has changed, but
> last time I tried to install dmd there it asked to install VS
> 2013, I know some people that didn't want to install DMD
> because VS is huge, now that the build tools are an option
> maybe that's the one the installer should suggest (or maybe
> even suggest both).

That was discussed so many times... DMD don't need VS itself but
rather compilers and tools, which is included in Windows SDK's,
and takes just 4GB or so.
But this is not an issue for anyone dealing with native
development on Windows since all this stuff is neccessary.

Also VS 2017 is much more modular now, so its now lighter than
ever before.
but of course for C++ (and D) you still need Windows SDK.

IIRC D also can be used without VS or WinSDK at all, just forget
about m32mscoff and x64 builds