DMD VS2017 Support

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 21 19:43:56 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 02:22:56 UTC, NotSpooky wrote:

> I don't have Windows so I don't know if this has changed, but
> last time I tried to install dmd there it asked to install VS
> 2013, I know some people that didn't want to install DMD
> because VS is huge, now that the build tools are an option
> maybe that's the one the installer should suggest (or maybe
> even suggest both).

Realistically, anyone who does serious Windows development is
likely going to have Visual Studio installed anyway. The build
tools are fine for the rest, but anyone wanting to use Visual D
will need VS. Since the installer offers to install Visual D, it
only makes sense to offer to install VS. It might be good to
offer a choice between the build tools and VS, or at the very
least offer links to the build tools and more recent versions of
VS to be installed manually.