Compare boost::hana to D

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 22 00:53:49 PDT 2017

Am Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:02:46 +0000
schrieb Adrian Matoga <dlang.spam at matoga.info>:

> On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 at 08:19:52 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> > I'm brushing up on my C++ to prepare for my C++Now 2017
> > presentation[1]. boost::hana is an impressive library that
> > overlaps with many D features:
> >

> > http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0_b2/libs/hana/doc/html/index.html
> >
> > Have you used boost::hana? What are your thoughts on it?
> >
> > And please share your ideas for the presentation. There has
> > been threads here about C++ closing the gap. Does D still bring
> > competitive advantage or is it becoming irrelevant? (Obviously,
> > some think its irrelevant already.) I'm trying to collect
> > opinions... :)
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Ali
> >
> > [1]
> > http://cppnow.org/2017-conference/announcements/2017/04/09/d-keynote.html
>
> I was at C++ Meeting 2016 in Berlin, where Louis Dionne talked
> about hana in his keynote [1]. I've summarized my feelings in a
> blog post [2]. In short, you can do the same tricks in D, but
> frequently there's an idiomatic way to express the same thing
> just as concisely without them.
> And of course, feel free to use any part of my post in your talk.
> :)
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_p9X5RzBJE
> [2] https://epi.github.io/2017/03/18/less_fun.html

OT but is there any benefit to identify events with strings? As long as
you use compile time only events I'd prefer a syntax as in
https://github.com/WebFreak001/EventSystem

(one benefit is that it's 100% IDE autocomplete compatible)

I guess if you want runtime registration of events identifying by name
is useful. But then you also somehow have to encode the parameter types
to make the whole thing safe...

-- Johannes