Python : Pythonista / Ruby: Rubyist : / D : ?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 22 01:30:03 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 17:20 +0000, Vasudev Ram via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I hope the question is self-evident from the message subject. If
> not, it means: what are D developers generally called (to
> indicate that they develop in D)? The question occurred to me
> somehow while browsing some D posts on the forums just now.
>
> DLanger? DLangist? D'er? Doer? :)
>
> I tend to favor DLanger, FWIW.

I would hope none of these, but as ketmar said "programmer".

Terms such as Pythonista, Rubyist, Rustacean, Gopher, etc. are terms of
tribalism and exclusion. They are attempts to ensure people claiming
membership of the tribe reject being polyglot by pressuring them to
eschew all other languages.

A good programmer can work professionally with a number of languages,
the psychology of programming people have data supporting this theory –
if the languages have different computational models.

Thus I would claim to be a programmer currently working with D for the
project I am working on just now, with SCons/Python for the build
system. In a while it will be C++ on another project with CMake. Later
still it will be C and Meson on a different project. Further on it will
be Kotlin and Frege using Gradle for yet another project.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk