{OT} Youtube Video: newCTFE: Starting to write the x86 JIT

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 22 07:22:18 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 at 12:56:11 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I just begun work on the x86 jit backend.
>
> Because right now I am at a stage where further design
> decisions need to be made and those decisions need to be
> informed by how a _fast_ jit-compatible x86-codegen is
> structured.
>
> Since I do believe that this is an interesting topic;
> I will give you the over-the-shoulder perspective on this.
>
> At the time of posting the video is still uploading, but you
> should be able to see it soon.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKorjPAvhQY
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

Is there not some way that you could get the current
interpreter-based implementation in to dmd sooner and then modify
the design later if necessary when you do x86 jit? The benefits
of having just *fast* ctfe sooner are perhaps larger than the
benefits of having *even faster* ctfe later. Faster templates are
also something that might be higher priority - assuming it will
be you who does the work there.

Obviously it's your time and you're free to do whatever you like
whenever you like, but I was just wondering what you're reasoning
for the order of your plan is?