DIP 1005 - Preliminary Review Round 1

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 23 09:43:57 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 11:54:08 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Destroy!

I'm not per se against going there but there are 2 points that
needs to be considered. The first one is the "self important
lookup" which obviate the need for this DIP to some extent.

Second, if we are going to proceed anyway, the way this is
specified is not ideal. This DIP effectively adds 2 features:
1/ The ability to use import foo as an argument to a with
statement.
2/ The introducing of a with declaration in addition of a with
statement.

These two addition are independents as far as the spec goes and
should be kept as such as to avoid an explosion of ad hoc
solutions for the use case we want to enable, rather than
providing building blocks that combine nicely to build such
solutions.