DIP 1007 Preliminary Review Round 1

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 24 08:58:12 PDT 2017

On 24/04/2017 4:03 PM, Mike Parker wrote:
> DIP 1007 is titled "'future symbol' Compiler Concept".
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1007.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should occur in
> this thread. Due to DConf taking place during the review period, the
> period will be extended by a week. The review period will end at 11:59
> PM ET on May 15 (3:59 AM GMT May 16), or when I make a post declaring it
> complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the DIP
> will be scheduled for another round. Otherwise, it will be queued for
> the formal review and evaluation by the language authors.
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.
>
> Destroy!

This DIP concerns me, for any other language I would go so far as to
saying, I would expect people to overuse this to the extreme. Going by
what they "think" they may need in the future instead of what they
definitely will need.

On the flip side, it would be great for development, feature not yet
done but planned? Annotate it. Even before a release ever happens.

Although I would prefer to see a unifying syntax to merge deprecated and
this into it, making it more user configurable. More complex to design
but most importantly less special rules in language.