DConf Hackathon Ideas

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 27 08:57:27 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 14:53:02 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This year, DConf has an extra day tacked on for problem solving
> in the form of a hackathon. The intent is to work on issues
> people find frustrating in the D ecosystem. While there will be
> time given at the event for proposals, and those involving
> third-party projects are welcome, it will help speed things
> along for the organizers to come in with a list of big issues
> to get the ball rolling.
>
> To help in compiling the list, what are some major issues from
> the ecosystem that you'd like to see fixed?

For starters:
- https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/104
- https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/issues/117
I don't think the following ones are feasible to deal with in
that context, but they are ones that irk me in the ecosystem:
- ABI compatibility between D compilers with the same frontend
version.
- More than one official package description language (json and
sdlang). I honestly don't care which it ends up being, but please
pick *one* (I am aware of the previous discussions on the topic,
but the current state of supporting both is just one more point
of friction for newcomers)