Garbage Collector?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 28 12:41:15 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 April 2017 at 15:43:22 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> On Friday, 28 April 2017 at 14:59:46 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Walter's position has always been that having more than a
>> single pointer type is a disaster.
>
> None of the threads I've read in the last couple of years
> regarding that support that claim.

He has restated this position many many times... Random snippets:

«Microsoft's Managed C++ had two pointer types, and it went over
like a lead zeppelin.
»

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mclqt1$1e5n$1@digitalmars.com

«Back in the old DOS days, there were multiple pointer types
(near and far). Programmers put up with that because it was the
only way, but they HATED HATED HATED it.»

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mcnv9u$e8p$1@digitalmars.com

You can easily find more... No point in trying to get that into
the core language (but it is necessary to get proper destruction
of GC managed objects in a reasonable way).