Garbage Collector?

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 28 14:21:13 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 April 2017 at 20:21:34 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 28 April 2017 at 20:13:58 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
>> Both of these, however, show only that he doesn't seem to
>> personally like multiple pointer types (and consequently
>> doesn't seem to have any interest in working on them himself);
>> that's not the same as him claiming that it "is a disaster"
>> (in general, which is what you were implying).
>
> There are other threads. This is a recurring topic...

To be fair, C++ effectively has multiple pointer types too with
raw pointers, unique_ptr, shared_ptr, and weak_ptr. However, each
of the extra ones has a unique purpose and are opt-in. As a
result, people happily use them when it makes their lives easier.

By contrast, C++/CLI (I'm more familiar with that than managed
C++) has pointer to managed heap and pointer to unmanaged heap.
The concepts overlap more.