DConf Hackathon Ideas

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 28 18:17:19 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 14:53:02 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This year, DConf has an extra day tacked on for problem solving
> in the form of a hackathon. The intent is to work on issues
> people find frustrating in the D ecosystem. While there will be
> time given at the event for proposals, and those involving
> third-party projects are welcome, it will help speed things
> along for the organizers to come in with a list of big issues
> to get the ball rolling.
>
> To help in compiling the list, what are some major issues from
> the ecosystem that you'd like to see fixed?

Not so much major issue but I would like to:
     * figure out a solution for
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2011
     * consider the merits of standardising allocSize
(https://github.com/ldc-developers/druntime/blob/ldc/src/ldc/attributes.d#L16) or equivalent among dmd/ldc/gdc
     * get half precision floating point into the language /or/
ability to create __vector's of user types (need for intrinsics
for GPU et al targets of dcompute).

I would also like to hold a mini hackathon/gauge interest in
dcompute as we could benefit significantly from the ML craze.