Garbage Collector?

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 29 00:15:36 PDT 2017

On 28.04.2017 17:43, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> On Friday, 28 April 2017 at 14:59:46 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> On Friday, 28 April 2017 at 09:40:07 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
>>> I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. D does not have ownership
>>> pointers because nobody that wants them has stepped up and
>>> 1) Done the work of drafting an informal proposal that *actually
>>> deals with _all_ of the issues involved*
>>
>> Wrong. This has been discussed and hashed out to death over and over
>> again. The solutions are on the table.
>
> No. Every single thread I read in the last couple of years ended with
> Walter pointing out issues that need to be "hashed out" and then nobody
> doing it.

This is not the full story though. Among Walter's constraints for an
acceptable solution always were:

1. cannot add new syntax

2. cannot add polymorphism to the type system (because it is "hard to
understand")

1. is inconvenient and I think what we get with 'scope' is approximately
the best one can do given 2.