Who maintains the D website?

Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 3 18:24:08 PDT 2017

On Friday, 4 August 2017 at 00:52:34 UTC, captaindet wrote:
> On 2017-08-04 12:13, Johnson Jones wrote:
>> No, sorry. The lead team uses nttp which is old school forum
>> technology.
>> They won't move in to the present and instead insist everyone
>> else stay
>> in the past with them. It's sort of like those guys that drive
>> 1970's
>> camaro's because they think it makes them look cool. I'm sure
>> it's a
>> psychological condition but not much can be done about it.
>
> hold your horses!
>
> quite a number of users incl myself prefer nttp. nice as the
> forum web interface is, following a newsgroup with a newsgroup
> reader like eg the thunderbird built-in is way more
> comfortable, you should try it one day. eg: you don't have to
> sign in, can reply immediately, you can customize
> display/behaviour more thoroughly to your liking, and more.
>
> /det

It's not! I've used nntp and it crap. You cannot edit your posts,
simple as that! You can claim all you want that your method is
better but it doesn't make it so.  Just based on human nature and
the fact that you are saying with an ancient archaic system
suggests it's all based in fear of change. The sad part about
this is that it forces everyone else to stay in the same broken
system.

How about this: Dlang.org keeps the old interface like nntp and
adds a new one. Anyone that wants to continue to use the old one
can and those that one to use the new one can. In a year we can
see which one is the most popular and let everyone decide rather
than a few old crusty goats.

Of course, it won't happen because those in power know the
outcome. You can see how nntp is dead. There are few nntp servers
and most of the groups are dead and only those that used in in
the past still use it. There is not a migration towards nntp but
away, and that is fact... which suggests that it is not as good
as its opposition. Hence, if I'm right, and I almost surely
am(surely you are not going to argue that nntp is becoming more
popular, are you?) then those that think that nntp is a great
thing and better than the alternatives have psychological issues
with change.

You can make a forum that behaves similarly(no login),
customizable, or whatever else you are saying that you like about
nntp.

In fact, someone could write a nntp like interface for the forum
in D just so to please you guys.

I personally have nothing against nntp... while it isn't great it
does the job EXCEPT editing. I know people claim that editing
posts causes problems but that is rarely the case and the
benefits far out weight any negatives.

The reasons not to move forward are the same reasons that plague
humans in many other areas and it is all
psychological/evolutionary reasons rather than based on logic and
facts. Familiarity is a prime factor. Many humans, specially
older ones, fear change because it is unfamiliar and unknown.
Those factors are the same that are at play here and it is
unfortunate because I imagine there would be a lot more younger
users that have the motivation to help D gain traction that do
not participate because they feel like it is a step backwards
rather than forwards.

One day all the old fogies will die and nntp will be gone.. and
some young kid interested in D will start a modern D forum and
maybe D will get back on track.

Think of it this way: D claims to be this sort of futuristic
compiler(it can do thinks "light years" ahead of most other
compilers...) yet it uses communications methods that are 50
years old. That's a bit contradictory. It's like a young pretty
woman who dresses like a skank and wears so much make up that it
makes her look 20 years older than what she is. While she might
think she looks good, the people that actually look at her think
otherwise. This is sorta what happens with D. It's amazing in
some ways but has so much baggage in so many areas that many
people are not going to waste their time. The D community can be
delusional all they want, but it just works against them instead
of allowing D to really shine.