Who maintains the D website?

captaindet via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 3 23:08:04 PDT 2017

i see you didn't hold your horses... not sure if i should reply again to
such an angry rant. i will stay calm and focused though.

> It's not! I've used nntp and it crap. You cannot edit your posts, simple
> as that!

so i give you that. unfortunately, your long rant offers no other
argument. however, the editing part is not a biggy. don't be ashamed of
the little typo. everything else: i see this NG as some sort of public
conversation. be nice, and if you got something wrong then heck, that's
life, ppl are wrong all the time. own it - or are you that insecure?
however, if you travel back in time and edit your post, you potentially
break the rest of the conversation and ppl reading the thread later will
not understand what the other participants responded to your post.

> Of course, it won't happen because those in power know the outcome. You
> can see how nntp is dead. There are few nntp servers and most of the
> groups are dead and only those that used in in the past still use it.
> There is not a migration towards nntp but away, and that is fact...

nobody would deny this. but change is not necessarily always for the
better. i do understand why email clients, news readers and nntp are
less popular these days, it is because of the smart phone generation of
users. and this is ok for many topics. but when i am programming - and
catching up with the NG, i do sit at a desktop computer and not using
the power of a standalone email client or news reader, fast and
configured exactly to my liking, seems rather stupid.

> which suggests that it is not as good as its opposition. Hence, if I'm
> right, and I almost surely am(surely you are not going to argue that
> nntp is becoming more popular, are you?) then those that think that nntp
> is a great thing and better than the alternatives have psychological
> issues with change.

this NG also serves as a compendium for the D language. many posts and
threads are valuable years after they have been made. as i pointed out
above, the ability to arbitrarily edit your old posts and potentially
render threads unintelligible is not convincing to me. again: what other
"advantage" is there, what features are you missing (from the web
interface)? everything but editing can potentially be added to the
current web interface. just file a feature request.

> You can make a forum that behaves similarly(no login), customizable, or
> whatever else you are saying that you like about nntp.

well, you cannot for me. as i generally don't allow (permanent) cookies
(only the occasional session cookie), i would have to login every time.
also, i have not seen a web forum yet where i can manoeuvre from post to
post or topic to topic as fast as with a standalone reader that locally
caches posts and threads. the only time i ever use the web interface is
when i am searching/investigating an issue beyond the message cache of
my reader.

> I personally have nothing against nntp... while it isn't great it does
> the job EXCEPT editing. I know people claim that editing posts causes
> problems but that is rarely the case and the benefits far out weight any
> negatives.

always funny when rhetoric fails so badly - your post made it quite
clear that you, personally, are extremely opposed to nntp. that is ok
though, we don't have to have the same opinion. but please, remind me,
what are all the many great benefits of editing posts? i gave you one
big argument against.

> The reasons not to move forward are the same reasons [...]

your exaggerations are quite amusing to read. as i have to believe that
you are serious here, i gracefully refrain from commenting.

/det

--
"just take it easy man." [the dude]