How do you use D?

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 5 14:31:49 PDT 2017

> It is more about marketing. Maybe Go is not a perfect language,
> maybe not even a good one, but it's sold so good because of a
> good marketing
>
> So, calling D a "better C++" is a bad advertisement. But if you
> rename it to '<anything>Script', for example "DatScript" and
> sell it as "better, statically typed JavaScript dialect which
> compiles into fast native executables" it will became #1
> language on GitHub in no time.

+1

I've suggested exactly the same "easy-to-learn super-powered
stronly-typed javascript" and "efficient web server development"
advertising approachs to the D leadership, using a more
"Python.org"-like website.

Maybe it's because this change would be much too radical, but
I've been told that the "Better C++" slogan won't change, despite
D could easily be "tweaked" to eat a significant part of
Go/Dart's market shares.

And I'm not especially convinced that many C++ developers are
currently rushing towards D because of the current website.

For instance, I've personally chosen D *only* it was much better
than JavaScript/Node.js, not because it was better than C++, that
I still have to use for game and mobile development.

Still waiting that somebody explains me how to _easily_ use D
with Unreal Engine, Cocos2D-X, etc... ;)

I know I'm not the general case, but this still proves that
"some" C++ developers won't switch to D for long because they are
too tied to their ecosystem.