Jetbrains announce support for rust plugin, show them we want one too!

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 6 07:16:20 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 12:14:16 UTC, Dmitry wrote:

> I don't think so.
> Why developer should use MacOS/Linux if the target platform is
> Windows in most of cases?

A developer who mostly targets Windows wouldn't. But if you look
at the statistics [1] you'd see that in the category of systems
accessing the web mobile&tablet systems (and we are excluding
servers here, who are virtually all UNIX systems anyway) have
been steadily overtaking classic desktop systems in market share,
from which it can be reasonably argued that it's only a matter of
time until the amount of development for Windows relative to
overall development is declining (regardless of how little it
already has).

> Just for example. I'm a game developer and almost all game
> developers who I know works on Windows (MacOS and Linux used by
> less than 1% of them).

Game development is a (profitable) niche sector, which is indeed
dominated by Windows (because of a historically entrenched
monopoly, but that's beside the point).

> Another example. A survey of developers (about 15K people) from
> Russian IT site. Windows ~67%, Linux ~20%, MacOS ~11% (biggest
> part of these Linux/MacOS developers uses it for web
> developing).

Citation needed.

> In any case, the result is same: the biggest platform supported
> worse than others.

Windows is not the biggest platform. It may be for your use
cases, but it's not overall.

[1]
http://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet/worldwide