How do you use D?

Eugene Wissner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 7 12:54:51 PDT 2017

I'm a self-employed web-developer, mostly working with PHP and
Javascript and markup languages like HTML and stuff like CSS and
SQL databases.

On the other hand at school (in Russia) we began with QBasic,
then Turbo Pascal and could choose if we use Turbo Pascal or
something else for solving class excercises. It was the first
time I learned C. After school I continued to use C for some open
source projects I was participating for fun. Two years ago I
started to look for a language that gives you a control over the
system like C but at the same time has high-level constructs I
was fimilar with from PHP. Here D comes into play (my second
choice would be Haskell and Rust).

> How do you use D?
> In work, (key projects or smaller side projects)
I'm living now in Germany and a year ago I found a job, where I
can use D all the time, but I still continue doing
web-development with PHP, Javascript and & Co.

> in your side project, (github, links please)
Still my primary interest on D was to replace C in my projects, I
started to work on a library that would give me C++ with the
syntax of a modern high-level programming language. See
https://github.com/caraus-ecms/tanya.

> just to learn something new? (I would easily argue that
> learning D will make you a better C++ programmer, maybe not the
> most efficient way, but I a sure it i very effective)
Yes. Everything I know about low-level network programming,
assembler, memory management, I learned from my working on my
library, tanya.

> Did you introduce D to your work place? How? What challenges
> did you face?
Though it is not reallistic to replace PHP and js with D for
small end customers I want to start some web-service based on D
on my own. After some work on tanya, I'm planning to continue to
work on my web-framework, I've started before:
https://github.com/caraus-ecms/caraus.

> What is you D setup at work, which compiler, which IDE?
neovim, dmd and gcc on Slackware Linux.