DMD license question

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 7 14:56:01 PDT 2017

On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 21:28:52 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as DMD is now under Boost Software License, can I distribute it
> as part of my commercial product?
>
> I want to provide script support within my application. The
> idea is to compile the scripts (D coding) to shared libraries
> and load the shared libraries into the main program.
>
> Kind regards
> André

Yes, the idea of the Boost Software License is that you don't
have to ask such questions.  Boost allows you to do anything you
want with the source, whether embedding, modifying, etc. and you
don't have to ask anyone for permission or even mention that
you're using someone else's software to your users, as the BSD
advertising clause requires.

Boost gives you the freedom to do almost anything you want, with
the only exception that you cannot claim the copyright to the
source or binary as your own.  Given that you can use it almost
any way you want, ie basically all rights under copyright have
been given to you, there would be no point in claiming the
copyright anyway, only a false claim that you wrote it too.