Jetbrains announce support for rust plugin, show them we want one too!

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 9 15:17:42 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, August 09, 2017 17:13:37 Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It is also a common pattern for the complainers to point out how not
> fixing their pet peeve will result in negative PR or reduced popularity.
> As if everyone here was somehow more deeply invested in D's popularity
> than in its quality. I find that to be a bit irritating.

If anything, most of us are more invested in its quality than its
popularity. Those of us who spend our time contributing to the code base or
writing our personal projects in D care a great deal about its quality, and
while we may care about how popular it is, that obviously wasn't what
brought us here. Having D popular would be nice, but it's not necessary for
us to be doing what we've been doing. And the reality of the matter is that
most of us don't have the proper skillset for improving D's popularity.
We're engineers, not marketing people.

If someone has an issue that prevents them from using D, then that matters,
but it needs to be taken in the context of everything else, and honestly, if
doing something to make the language more popular means reducing its
quality, I'd rather that it have higher quality. Ideally, having higher
quality would help improve its popularity, but unfortunately, things don't
always work that way.

Regardless, we're here because we want a quality language, not because we
want a popular one. We just hope that those two things aren't mutually
exclusive.

- Jonathan M Davis