Jetbrains announce support for rust plugin, show them we want one too!

SC via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 11 01:13:07 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 at 22:17:42 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 09, 2017 17:13:37 Timon Gehr via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> It is also a common pattern for the complainers to point out
>> how not fixing their pet peeve will result in negative PR or
>> reduced popularity. As if everyone here was somehow more
>> deeply invested in D's popularity than in its quality. I find
>> that to be a bit irritating.
>
> If anything, most of us are more invested in its quality than
> its popularity. Those of us who spend our time contributing to
> the code base or writing our personal projects in D care a
> great deal about its quality, and while we may care about how
> popular it is, that obviously wasn't what brought us here.
> Having D popular would be nice, but it's not necessary for us
> to be doing what we've been doing. And the reality of the
> matter is that most of us don't have the proper skillset for
> improving D's popularity. We're engineers, not marketing people.
>
> If someone has an issue that prevents them from using D, then
> that matters, but it needs to be taken in the context of
> everything else, and honestly, if doing something to make the
> language more popular means reducing its quality, I'd rather
> that it have higher quality. Ideally, having higher quality
> would help improve its popularity, but unfortunately, things
> don't always work that way.
>
> Regardless, we're here because we want a quality language, not
> because we want a popular one. We just hope that those two
> things aren't mutually exclusive.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

i agree about quality part, but you mix two things, popularity
and the need of tooling

the point of my post was to gather community in hope for better
tooling, not popularity

having great tooling might increase popularity, but for me it'll
improve my productivity, and that's all i care about, popularity
is next, quality is already nice for me