newCTFE Status August 2017

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 11 13:21:51 PDT 2017

On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 20:13:04 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
Scherkl wrote:
> On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 09:27:47 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 at 21:27:32 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>>> [ ... ]
>>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I just finished &&.
> Hooray!
> So what's still missing? Or is this now complete enough to
> release?

it's almost at the point where I am okay with making a
newCTFE-1.0 release.
it will correctly coexist with the old engine such that the
things it currently cannot do are still taken care of by the old
engine.

Things left to do :

- Deal with more void initialization correctly.
- Unions
- Classes
- Exceptions
- some complex types such as int[][3][]
- string-decoding foreach. like: (foreach(dchar utf32;
uft8someString))
- associative arrays (though we may change druntime to a
ctfe-able version, which would also allow having aa-literals
computed at ctfe usable at runtime)

There are a few corner-cases in the supported feature set where
it will fallback to the old interpreter but fixing those is a
matter of hand-work not head-work (as they _should_ not impact
the design):)