@safe(bool)

Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 19 18:33:00 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 20 August 2017 at 01:05:39 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> This is indeed, a nice solution. I am a _bit_ worried about
> abuse, and loss of modularity, but aside from that, I think
> it's a better solution overall.

All features in the style of "I know what I'm doing, just let me
do it!" (=void, @trusted ect.) are open to abuse but I don't
think we've ever had problems with them. They tend to be used
sparingly and only when absolutely necessary.

  I'm not quite sure how this would lead to a loss of modularity?

>> The only downside is that the second form leaves itself open to
>
> Easily fixed with a template constraint, right?

True, too early in the morning. zzz.

> This could potentially render a large portion of the projects
> on code.dlang.org broken though. What would be nice, is if
> code.dlang.org regularly built all the projects, and notified
> the authors of the breakage, possibly sending a list of recent
> compiler changes as well.

I don' think It would break too much, but we have @future to
mitigate all potential breakages from this DIP. Autotesting is
obviously desirable.