Quora

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 19 19:44:13 PDT 2017

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 15:17:52 Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> > Its called necro-posting.
> > I'm surprised that post isn't read-only.
>
> Call it like you want, but I ee people putting new
> answers/comments to years old posts all the times, as it's
> perfectly legitimate on many blogs and websites.
>
> What was the best answer 10 years ago is often completely wrong
> nowadays.
>
> Forbidding people to suggest what can easily solve the problem
> *right now* is what would be silly IMHO.

IIRC, there's even a badge for necro-posting. I don't think that I've ever
done it though. If I answer a question, it's generally because I
specifically went to SO to answer questions, in which case, I'm just looking
at the latest ones. I haven't been doing even that much lately though, and
answering D questions is pretty much the only reason that I've done much
with SO in years. I've rarely found it to be useful for asking the sorts of
questions that I have - if nothing else, because anything easy enough to
find the answer for by digging around online, I'll find, and anything that's
harder is likely to be esoteric enough that no one's going to have the
answer for you on SO.

As far as old posts being wrong goes though, it wouldn't surprise me if
several of the older answers for D are wrong at this point - or at least
could and should be improved - given how much the language and libraries
have changed over time.

- Jonathan M Davis