Fix D's segfaults!

user1234 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 20 14:58:56 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 20 August 2017 at 20:20:30 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:35:45 Ali Çehreli via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 08/20/2017 12:14 PM, Johnson Jones wrote:
>>  >>> Dmd needs to be modified so that errors try to show from
>> the source
>>  >>> code. This should be obvious the reasons, if it is not
>> possible, make
>>  >>> it possible! There are no excuses why dmd should make me
>> go on an
>>  >>> easter egg hunt when a seg fault occurs.
>>
>> You can open an enhancement request at
>>
>>    https://issues.dlang.org/enter_bug.cgi
>>
> [...]
> But in spite of the lack of line numbers
> [...]

The lack of line number is simply caused by phobos as a static
library which is build without the -g switch. The only i see way
to solve this is to

1/ ship dmd with an additional libphobos2-debug.{a|lib}
2/ change the compiler so that when the -g switch is passed, it
links against the version that has the "-debug" suffix.

This or another trick that would have the same effect.

ATM we have to build the phobos-debug ourselves if we want to see
the line nums.