@safe(bool)

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 21 17:33:17 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 00:21:16 bitwise via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 21 August 2017 at 08:09:25 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > you potentially have to go searching through a chain of
> > declarations to figure out which attributes are actually being
> > used.
>
> A good IDE should give you this info if you hover over a
> function. I realize D's tool support is spotty at the moment, but
> it seems like the kind of think that's ok to be optimistic about.

If you need an IDE to figure out what your code is doing, that's an epic
fail IMHO. Walter has made similar statements on several occasions. D was
originally designed in such a way that IDEs should not be necessary (e.g. it
tries to avoid a lot of the boilerplate code that is typical in Java
programs). Most of the folks around here do not use IDEs. I use (g)vim as my
code editor, and I have no desire to use an IDE. I should be able to figure
out what's going on just by looking at the code, and having to go spelunking
to figure out which attributes really apply because they're hidden behind
aliases or combined in other attributes is just wasting my time IMHO. As
long as the attributes are applied directly without being renamed (be it
directly on the function or to the module as a whole), then the situation is
quite tractable, but if we end up with aliased attributes and combined
attributes, that goes completely out the window.

- Jonathan M Davis