Community Rant

Jonathan Shamir via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 22 08:14:33 PDT 2017

https://dlang.org/htod.html

I click download and get an exe!

And in the bugs section:
No linux version.

I'll start with the productive part. If anyone can point me out
to the sources of htod I would love to compile for linux + osx.
Any task seems more attractive to me than manually converting a
1000 line header to D.

I'm a D lover and advocate. I actually get a salary writing D
code for a cutting-edge startup.

But lets be honest. If I was just interested to learn about this
"modern system programming language" that is C++ done right, I
would dismiss D very quickly. We need to get together as a
community and rethink your priorities, because with problems like
this we're making it very hard for newcomers to trust in this
very poorly adapted language.

Programming tools used by day to day programmers should be a
priority. Because everyone expects valgrind to work.

The standard library should be a priority. It's far from complete
(hopefully my company will contribute in this respect in the near
future).

The DUB package repository is horrible! More often than not, the
packages are so poorly written I end up just writing my own
implementation. Adding the ability to "rate" packages would go a
long way in improving the situation.

I understand hacking the frontend is way more interesting to most
of the community. But if we don't find the time to improve on our
visibility and language maturity, D will never get the attention
it deserves.

P.S. I don't know you guys (except Ali and Andrei which I had the
honor to meet). I don't follow the forums. I'm sure you often
speak about these topics here. So - if I offended anyone know
it's not personal (I don't know who you are). I just want to
share my impressions and experience as an actual day to day D
user.